May 23, 2011

tipping the scale

I've been talking for years about the idea of losing some weight and feeling healthier - but it was just that...talk. Now I have a little more determination, or at least that's what this thing in my spirit feels like! So today I am going to purchase a scale! EEK!

Knowing how food has become such an emotional thing for me, buying (and stepping on) a scale is a scary feat. But it is going to happen today!

As for how my whole Reshaping it ALL process has been going: not bad. I'm still working at changing my eating habits - which is happening; just slower than I would like. I've found in the past that regular physical activity and eating decent portions allowed me to still enjoy the things that I like, while feeling better overall. This is what worked for me to drop 20lbs when I moved cities almost 6yrs ago, and this is what I expect will work now. However, what I'm realizing now is that then, when I was feeling healthy physically, I was also really healthy spiritually.

If I were going to rank my physical/spiritual health on a scale it would look like this:

Physical: Less than moderate
Spiritual: Moderate

The other day I actually thanked God that my Spiritual health is above my physical! I don't know a lot of people who would do that in the world. The thing is, if my spiritual health can stay above my physical health, then while it is rising (which I'm working on daily), so will the other.

A friend of mine was just telling me about how the past few weeks have been hard for her. She lives in a city where it rains a lot, and is very grey for the majority of the year. I encouraged her to keep active, eat well, and drink lots of water so that she could persevere. I also encouraged her to dig into the word and pray more, because if its not coupled together, her blah, depressed feelings will linger - even when the sun comes out. It amazes me how I could have grown up in the church, yet I still have these obvious "a-ha!" moments that seem so logical!

God is good.

Time to buy a scale!

Blessings.

No comments: