May 19, 2011

Reshaping it ALL

I'm breaking out the blog again! Only this time everything will look a little different.
I can't say that I am one to follow trends or avidly follow celebrities (though I do follow a couple on twitter!), but I am about to follow what could become a trend (at least in Christian circles) and it all started with a celebrity - who, yes, I now follow on twitter! haha!

Let me share how it all started:

Last week I came home to a friend sitting on my couch. She was sharing with me that she had just spent the better part of an hour reading through tweets from the various cast members of Full House. If you don't know what Full House is, google it! But briefly, its a tv show from the 80's/early 90's that I used to watch weekly! My friend came across the tweets of Candace Cameron Bure - or DJ Tanner in Full House terms - and started sharing them with me. Almost instantly we were drawn in by how sweet, encouraging and so open about her faith she seemed to be. The more we read, the more we both knew we would have to follow her.

Within a couple of days I started wondering about a particular hashtag she was using #reshapingitall. I did a little research and realized that Candace, with another woman, Darlene Schacht, had published a book: Reshaping Is ALL: Motivation for Physical and Spiritual Fitness.

Living in a small town I had only a couple options to finding the book - order it online or through the bookstore, or hope that its at the library. The latter proved to be the better option! Thank God for public libraries...seriously.

From what I've read so far, the book is well written. It gives background into Candace's life and career, but also talks of getting on the right footing spiritually, connecting with God and connecting with yourself. I'm a fan.

I've been convicted for some time about changing my eating habits and getting on track with regular exercise. With the recent death of my mom, who was diabetic, and finding out at the same time that my brother is also diabetic, the reality that I need to take better care of myself has really been smacking me in the face. Then I started reading this book and it all started resonating once again!

Which brings me to today. I've decided to join in the the 65 day Reshaping it ALL challenge. I'm a few weeks late, but that's ok. I can start at any time! "Self-discipline doesn't know when it's Monday; it calls us to step up today" (pg. 101).

My plan is to blog daily on my progress and how I've been changing not only my physical self through my eating habits and exercise, but also how my spiritual self has been changing and growing as well. If the 2 don't go hand in hand, I don't think I'll make it through!

Blessings.

No comments: