January 7, 2009

faith

Normally when I get on the skytrain in the mornings it is pretty jam packed - standing room only. Yesterday was no different. As we arrived at the stop before mine, someone sitting on the seat in front of me (I was standing) rose to exit the train, leaving the seat empty. I looked at the lady standing beside me and said "would you like to have a seat?" She responded "you don't want to sit?" To which I said "please, take a seat." She then gave me the funniest of looks and sat down.

There were probably a few reasons to why I offered her the seat:

1. I had only woken up an hour before. Why do I need to sit?
2. My stop was next - Why get up and down in the matter of 3 minutes?!
3. Its not a bad thing to be polite!

What got me thinking was the look on her face. It was almost a mix of surprise & disgust! Seemed like a very odd reaction to me. I was thinking about how little faith humans have in each other. Its sad.
Faith has been coming up in various areas of my life in this new year, and the look on that womans face really just brought it all together for me. I am believing that 2009 is a year for faith.

blessings.

No comments: