January 8, 2009

connections

Its a new year. Everytime a new year comes around I wonder where the old one has gone! Seems to have flown by.
A lot happened in 2008. I lost a job, moved back to Canada then moved provinces, got a new job, live in a new house, made new friends, lost old friends (and by lost I mean we rarely speak anymore)....and a lot more.

Over the past 3-4 years I have spent a lot of time thinking about my connections with people and what they mean to me. They mean a lot. There was a time about 4 years ago when I would have been happy to have a lot of people around me, even if they didn't know the real me. As I have grown and matured this has definitely changed. Now I would rather spend time with 1 or 2 people who really know me well than be in a room full of strangers, so to speak.

I have spent some time in recent months mourning the loss of what I thought was a great friendship. So many questions came out of it - the biggest one being "where we really all that good of friends?" I would like to think we were, but to be honest I haven't been able to answer that question. We were connected, I thought. Rarely having contact with this friend has helped me to examine the type of friend I am and want to be. Its kinda sucked, actually. But I've learned not to place expectations on people and just let things be.

"Real connections, they can't be broken by time or space."
~God in Joan of Arcadia

I'm looking for real connections this year. How that looks in my life I don't know yet, but I'm sure to find out!

Blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always been a 2 to 5 good friend person. I'm not good in crowds or with smalltalk.

Lately I've been wishing for more friends, kinda feelin' lonely. It's a weird transition. I too lost a good friend recently: in fact, more than a friend. It's hard to move on.